The title says it all! Opinions expressed here are those of the authors. Personal tastes may vary, and we are cool with that.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Come Cover Me: "Crucified"

After a ridiculously long wait, Amazon finally shipped the copy of Atargatis's Nova to me, and I am really enjoying listening to it. There is one song on it, however, that piqued my interest because the lyrics were credited to three people not in the band, with the date 1991, and the lyrics themselves were not printed in the booklet like the rest of their songs were. This is the song "Crucified." So, I did a bit of research and after a few dead ends, finally found out that "Crucified" was originally by a Swedish pop band called Army of Lovers, and for some reason, Atargatis had decided to cover this on Nova.

Kind of an...interesting choice, given the rest of the album's content, the theme of which I am still trying to piece together. Turns out, though, that Army of Lovers has an official video of "Crucified." When I watched it, I was a tadstunned. It is...for lack of a more polite term...bizarre. Here it is:



All righty, then...:|

Anyway, Atargatis did a pretty decent metal cover of this song, actually. Here it is:



Way better! If only they would make a video for it, to erase some of the images from the original video!

2 comments:

Almagest said...

Bwahaha, I've got the original song on my computer. Yeah, this is a quite ... interesting band, huh? But if you've read your Plato (Symposium) you'll recognise the allusion in the band's name and be warned. :P

Symphonic/power metal bands seem to like 1980s synthpop covers. I have to say that my favourite is Lunatica's cover of "Hymn", originally by Ultravox.

Both Dreamspace and Freedom Call have covered "Dancing with Tears in My Eyes" by Ultravox - their versions are worth checking out, too.

Fun fact: Alexander Bard, the founder of Army of Lovers, has a songwriting credit for "Where Were You Last Night". He's also the founder of the Swedish synthpop band Vacuum - now consisting of the duo Mattias Lindblom and Anders Wollbeck, which has songwriting credits for a whole lot of songs on ... well, I'll leave it to you to find that one out. =)

Allyson said...

I love Lunatica's version of Hymn! That is one of my favourite covers ever!