The title says it all! Opinions expressed here are those of the authors. Personal tastes may vary, and we are cool with that.

Monday, May 23, 2011

It's a British Columbia Thing...

Thanks to Eneas of Knights of the Temple, I came across this Canadian metal outfit from my very own home province of British Columbia, Unleash the Archers. They have recently released their second album, Demons of the Astrowaste, and it was accompanied by this fantastic video.

It might take a true British Columbian (or Pacific Northwesterner if you're from the States) to realize the genius of this video.  The myth of the Sasquatch, AKA Bigfoot, is something we all grow up with here, and I doubt there is a tyke out there who goes camping out in the woods at some point in his or her childhood without wondering if he/she/it is out there lurking in the forest.

Or, it could be just me. 

Right now, I fear bears and cougars when I go hiking and camping out in yonder mountains, so I carry bear spray and a whistle and hope for the best (so far so good). 

Not too far from these parts, over the border, there is a music festival called the Sasquatch Festival, and it's on next weekend, which is an American long weekend (ours is this weekend, lucky me).  Our local big beer company, Kokanee, has successfully used Sasquatch in many an advertising campaign - and even I like those ads (here's a classic from 1985). 

This video is hilarious to me and it gave me a good laugh this weekend, one I really needed. 

6 comments:

The Protagonist said...

Well, there you have it, even Sasquatch digs power metal!

I grabbed this album a little while back, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. A mistake I will now have to remedy, that was a great song!

Allyson said...

Unfortunately, the music isn't my cup of tea! I really, really don't want to say that because they are from BC and I'd love to love them, but man...no, the music isn't my cup of tea...

The Protagonist said...

This song isn't? Or the whole album? The rest of the album is definitely more harsh, but I thought that "Dawn of Ages" was quite accessible.

Allyson said...

I meant all their music! I've listened to both albums and "Dawn of Ages" is the song I like best. Their previous album is predominantly growls & screams, but on the 2nd album features the female lead more. There are some strong elements for sure, but overall I didn't care for the music that much. Which, let me repeat, I hate to say!

Eric James said...

LOL at Super Mario Kart! I played that all the time as a kid! Such nostalgia!

John Davies said...

I had a black bear charge at me once while hiking. Scary! I ran like a fool! LOL.

Without the growls, Unleash The Furies remind me of Triosphere , who I love. But UTF aren't quite there yet. I would like them much more without the silly growls.