The title says it all! Opinions expressed here are those of the authors. Personal tastes may vary, and we are cool with that.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Countdown to Sabaton...And Others!

As I mentioned in the last post, I'm in the process of moving from the literal sticks of British Columbia to the more civilized coast.  I won't be in Vancouver proper, but I'll be pretty damned close. On Monday, Sabaton is playing at The Venue in Vancouver, opening for Everygrey - and I am going!  The tickets were a surprise gift from a friend of mine to sort of celebrate a new chapter in both our lives.  My friend is not a metal head.  And this will be my first metal concert.

In a discussion with my colleagues at Black Wind Metal (who will be launching the new BWM site on Monday!), I found that wearing my Sonata Arctica t-shirt would be totally kosher.  I was a little worried that it might seem out of place to wear another band's shirt at a particular concert, but apparently that is totally fine.  I was worried about what to wear otherwise.  I don't exactly have the most exciting wardrobe in the world, and luckily the SA t-shirt is short-sleeved (unlike my Nightwish shirt).

My friend will be taking photos of the event.  I'm pretty stoked!  It should be a really fun experience, though I expect I'll be the oldest person there.

Russian folk metal band Arkona will be coming to Vancouver December 3, opening for Fins Korpiklaani, and I think I'll go to that gig, too.  I like Arkona.  And - excitement! - the boss over at Sonic Cathedral is in touch with Arkona's label and is helping to organize a possible interview with the band for me, so I can write an article for the SC web zine!  How fucking cool is that?  Cross your fingers that it will actually happen!

Vancouver is going to open up a ton of gig opportunities for me, so that excites me about my new home.  Living in the sticks totally sucks when you are into a scene that doesn't exist there.

No comments: